The Boyd Independent School District Board of Trustees voted unanimously on July 18, 2016 to begin implementing a new community service program to encourage students to give back to the city of Boyd and the people who live there.
Freshmen students entering Boyd High School in 2016-2017 and forward will be required to complete 8 hours of community service per year for a total of 32 hours by the end of their Senior year.
What is Community Service?
Community Service shall be defined as a service performed for approved persons, organizations or agencies outside of the student's home and/or family. Students shall perform the service without being compensated and hours shall be tracked based on time spent volunteering. Volunteer services shall not be completed during the regular school day, unless students are participating in a school sponsored school/community service project.
Community Service must meet the following criteria
- For the benefit of the Community at large;
- Performed outside the school day except for approved service activities;
- Performed during the school day if it involves tutoring or providing assistance to the entire school through non-required activity (i.e. tutoring,campus improvement projects); and
- Receive no monetary compensation for work performed or hours contributed.
Examples of Community Service
There are many ways a student might accumulate Community Hours. For example the following may be considered as appropriate community service:
Students may also provide service to the school through principal-approved activities such as:
- Clean the campus grounds
- Clean stadium, track, field, or court following home games
- Tutor students in need of assistance to pass core classes
- Assist during district parent nights or parent seminars
- Create campus/class/club logos and /or mission statements
- Reading to elementary school students
- Mentoring younger students for academic purposes
Hours That Will NOT Count Towards Graduation
Hours that are assigned for disciplinary actions or as an academic requirement. Service hours will not be accounted for when done for a Parent or Relative; or for any high school social club or team meeting.